Friday, May 14, 2010

Record of Agarest War Halfway Review?

I’m not really sure if I can or should call this a review, but I think I’m going to. Basically, a lot of good looking smexy games are coming out next week. It’s bad enough that I won’t have enough money to buy them all, but also not have enough time because of other games. So, I figure if I want Agarest to be reviewed this month I’m gonna have to do it now while I’m on the halfway point in the game (or so it seems anyway). I will however be doing a full review of the game when I do finish it (which will probably be in a couple of months).

Liked:

Soul Breed: I’ll be bloody honest right now, this was the main reason I got this game when I heard about it. There are five chapters in the game. In each chapter, you play the child of the main character from the previous chapter. The interesting part is, depending on who you marry and mate with determines the stats and skills of your child.

Story: While not the best story in the world, it is enjoyable and interesting enough to keep me going instead of outright quitting the game. The basic premise of the story is basically an ancient evil has come back to takeover the world and the first hero who dies at one point is granted strength to help the world defeat this darkness, but he has to give his and his descendants their… freedom I guess would be the best word in this case.

Meh:

English Subtitles: The game only has Japanese voiceovers. This didn’t really bother me, but I may as well mention it just in case this does bother you.

Dislike:

Fighting: I probably should have mentioned this before, but the game is a strategy RPG (like FF: Tactics or Fire Emblem). I tend to enjoy these types of games, but Agarest War has a few issues. Every battlefield is flat, they reuse the battlefields a lot, there’s no feeling of an advantage when you attack from behind or the sides, and my biggest issue with it is the battles just get too tedious too fast.

Stuck: It's possible to get stuck, there’s no way to change the difficulty mid game, and if you can’t get out of your predicament, you're just gonna have to restart. (Yeah I'm an idiot... there's a kind of move menu so you can go straight to town you visited...)

I’m enjoying the story but the fights are really bringing me down. If I had to rate Agarest War from where I am in the game, I would give it a 6/10.

Edit:
I decided to record the intro of the game out of boredom and put it here enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. hey 6/10 is still passing (I feel a need to defend this cause 6/10 was what I got on most of my test in school)

    ReplyDelete